You can use alot of home remedies or over the counter pesticides to kill a cockroach. But how do you prevent the pest from coming back to bother you again? The answer is simple – A clean house is key to keeping cockroaches away.
Here are some tips on preventing re-infestation of cockroaches in your home.
- Keep the kitchen clean. Clean up crumbs and spills promptly, and generally keep the area clean. Pay special attention to cooking stove tops, as cockroaches love grease.
- Put food away. Keep food containers sealed, and don’t leave food out for extended periods — don’t even leave dirty dishes overnight.
- Empty trash regularly, and keep trash away from the house.
- Fix dripping faucets or leaks. Cockroaches are attracted to water.
- Put naphthalene balls on corners. Roaches hate their smell.
- Prevent bugs from coming up the drain. If you believe that the cockroaches are coming up your drains, pour regular, cheap bleach down the drains before leaving the house in the morning. For a stronger solution, mix 1 part borax with 3 parts bleach.
- Seal cracks in exterior walls. Keep roaches out of the house by blocking their entrance.
- Seal cracks everywhere you can inside your house. This takes time, but the payoff is great, because you eliminate most of their favorite hiding/breeding places. You’ll need a lot of caulking, so use the big tubes with a caulking gun. Fill every crack inside every cabinet; fill the cracks on both sides of floor, door, and window moldings; fill all openings around pipes in bathrooms and kitchens. This makes a big difference and makes the whole house feel cleaner.
- If you buy an exterior bug spray, it will work inside much better. To spray it, put it in a spray bottle or a pump-up pressure bottle and spray the solution in the kitchen cabinets clockwise while holding your breath. Spray quickly and run out and leave the windows closed for a day.
If you need professional help in helping you keep these pests at bay, please call AntiPest at 03-8023 1888 or visit www.antipest.com.my for more information today!