Termites sometimes known as ‘white ants’ live in colonies that, at maturity, number from several hundred to several million. Termites mostly feed on dead plant material, generally in the form of wood, leaf litter, soil, or animal dung.
Some indications you may have termites include:
- A temporary swarm of winged insects in your home or from the soil around your home.
- Any cracked or bubbling paint
- Frass (termite droppings).
- Wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
- Mud tubes on exterior walls, wooden beams, or in crawl spaces.
- Discarded wings from swarmers.
The Threat : The damage from termites is significant, causing serious structural damage to buildings, crops or plantation forests. Once they have invaded a building, they do not limit themselves just to wood, but also paper, cloth, carpet, and other cellulosic materials. The resulting damage from termites can cost millions of ringgit every year.